Eagle Mountain Railroad
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Earlier this year, while coming back to California from Arizona, I spotted tracks passing under I-10 near Red Cloud Mine Road. When I got home I Googled them and found that they ran from Kaiser’s former Eagle Mountain iron mine 51 miles across the desert to Salton Sea. The line was known as the Eagle Mountain Railroad.

The satellite view at the Salton Sea end faintly shows a wye and other tracks (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ferrum,+Riverside,+California&sll=33.454145,-115.852118&sspn=0.045903,0.123596&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ferrum,+Riverside,+California&ll=33.456061,-115.854542&spn=0.005773,0.01545&t=h&z=17). New Years Eve we were headed for Arizona again, so I made time to take a look at what remains. The site is about a mile north of the Southern Pacific bridge.

The first shot is looking northwest with a ballast train on one of the mains next to Highway 111, and the San Jacinto Mountains in the background. In the foreground you can see the two legs of the wye.

The next four shots show the wye itself. I assume the wye is in a trench so the rails could be level. Some of rail was dated 1923.

The next photo is looking southeast in the direction of travel to the mine. You can see the sidings which were probably for marshalling ore cars coming and going from the mine. The first switch is for the wye.

The next two shots show the switches for all the sidings. You can just see the southern leg of the wye.

This last photo is looking northeast across the five sidings into the wye’s trench.

On last note on this branch. In 1986 SP 4449 ran these tracks for the filming of Tough Guys, a movie starring Burt Lancaster and Kurt Douglas. The shooting took place south of I-10 and the train spent the nights at the Eagle Mountain yard. More info about Eagle Mountain at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Mountain_Railroad

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to randy for this post:
WM Fan, Siberyd
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Nice, the Eagle Mountain Railroad is one RR that I would like to explore. Form googlemaps it looks like there arealot ofplaces to get good shots of it.

Thanks for posting.Nicethread

Tim~ Forum Moderator
01-05-2010, 09:10 PM

bastatim4294 Wrote:Nice, the Eagle Mountain Railroad is one RR that I would like to explore. Form googlemaps it looks like there arealot ofplaces to get good shots of it.

I think you'd need a 4x4 to do much. I hope to hike into the first bridge north of Ferrum at some point in future.
01-05-2010, 10:03 PM

randy Wrote:
bastatim4294 Wrote:Nice, the Eagle Mountain Railroad is one RR that I would like to explore. Form googlemaps it looks like there arealot ofplaces to get good shots of it.

I think you'd need a 4x4 to do much. I hope to hike into the first bridge north of Ferrum at some point in future.
I agree with that.

Tim~ Forum Moderator
01-06-2010, 12:11 AM

It will be interesting to see if the original ROW is used if the following program breaks ground for the Eagle Mountain Landfill in the near future:

http://www.lacsd.org/info/waste_by_rail/default.asp
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2010, 08:36 AM

It ain't lookin' good for the landfill project.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/rivcounty/st...44444.html
01-06-2010, 09:37 AM

What a great landscape out there. I'd like to visit there someday. Nice post!
01-06-2010, 09:46 AM

samreeves Wrote:What a great landscape out there. I'd like to visit there someday. Nice post!
As spring comes on it gets even better. Let me know when you want to go!
01-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Well Samuel, if you were to bring your avatar with you, I could be covinced to go also.....:knowledge:

V

SLOCONDR

[user=1159]samreeves[/user] wrote:
Quote:What a great landscape out there. I'd like to visit there someday. Nice post!
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2010, 09:47 AM

You pay the modeling fee and we'll make it happen V! Big Grin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)